Terrible or terrific
The two year old... Some things are terrific about a two year old. They are hilarious, very curious, so sweet and cuddly, they find ways to crack you up every day. He want me to hold his hand and asks for things he knows he shouldn't have then laughs and says " no ". Always learning,
The terrible part I am about to tell you. So today I had some shopping to do but decided first I would take sev somewhere fun. So we went to the local petsmart one of his favorites. We looked at all the fish and hamsters, kittens ect and then there in the back of the store was a glass room full of dogs from great Danes to Yorke's about 4 pounds all playing in something called doggy day camp. It looked fun and sev stuck his nose to the glass and sat their watching and laughing for about 20 minutes until he lost interest and it was time to leave we went to Costco to pick up a few items where he got a churro at the end for being so great. We went to walmart next to pick up some diapers. I let him ride a ride and we were off to the shopping. Sev decided he wanted some cookies so I told him we had to buy them and to wait until after dinner. He was not having that idea so started screaming a high pitch awful scream I told him if he screamed any more he would go on a time out. He screamed louder so I took him out of the cart and sat him on the floor in the isle for two minutes he said sorry gave hugs and we were off. It started again and again until the third time out is where I decided it was time to leave I was all out of diapers at home so I needed to check out. I was at the very end of the store and had to walk to the check out. He screamed as loud as he could the whole way people looking at me like I was a horrible mother I ignored him and them feeling embarrassed literally everyone was staring at me. The self check out was shortest so I ran to it and started checking out sev meanwhile still screaming. This lady next in line said to sev " You know you really should stop screaming it's allot nicer" Me still ignoring all the looks and comments. finally three diapers scanned and ready to go. The same lady says to me " Can you not hear that" I said " yeah I can, but what else am I supposed to do" She said "Tell him to shut up" I was so mad how dare her " I said "listen you don't tell me how to raise my kid and leave us alone" her comment " well when his is like twelve you are going to have a messed up kid" I was boiling I felt a lump in my throat and knew I was going to cry so I turned and grabbed the diapers and then tears just started falling. The cashier asked if I was ok I even more embarrassed said fine and hurried to the front door where I sat in a corner on a bench and sobbed for awhile while little sev said " Do Do" his way of saying sorry I told him that it was fine it just made mommy sad i gave him a hug and left to the car.
Sevrin has a speech problem which I have a therapist coming tomorrow for. So I know that it is frustrating for him and me to understand what he is trying to say I think allot of the screaming right now is due to this. And having a new brother in the picture can be hard . I don't know what to do or what I did wrong in the store but i WAS TRYING TO TEACH HIM HE CAN'T ALWAYS HAVE HIS WAY. it was a very hard day. Lately he can be very nice to Oliver just so tender and sweet and other times he tries hitting him and me. It makes my heart hurt I don't know how to help him. I love him and if he is doing this because he is frustrated I feel so bad for him. poor kid I love him to death but he needs to stop this awful behavior help me what do I do?
3 comments:
It sounds like you were being such a good mom, even doing time out in the aisle. That lady was way out of line! I got so mad at her reading this! I haven't seen you much since you had Severin, but I know for sure that you are an awesome mom and that he is a great kid. Sometimes Marina is the sweetest little thing and sometimes she throws fits and tries to hit me because she thinks its funny. I think the key is to just keep being consistent. Time outs or ignore them when they have bad behavior and reward them for good behavior. Sounds like you are doing everything just right and I am sure Sev will be such an awesome 12 year old :) I wish I could just give you a hug and punch that awful woman from the store!
Every Mom has had at LEAST one day like that. I had someone in the library tell me what to do about my kids who were screaming and throwing a fit. He didn't even know the whole story and thought I was letting one child pester another and tease him. He was older (retired) and had no right to say anything. I should have told him to back off - he probably never dealt with any of his kids throwing a fit (his wife did) - he was probably always working. I don't know why people aren't more compassionate and helpful and less critical. Just know you aren't the only one.
Rach!
My heart aches for you! That is so hard to deal with! I've had a similar situation at the mall, but man this one sounds hard since you needed to finish your shopping! I hate the looks people give you when you're doing the right thing! I'm glad you stood up to her! I agree w/ Kristi's advice about being consistent & ignoring & such. If kids know that their tantrum is affecting you they are going to keep it up & even harder, but it's so much easier to ignore them @ home than in public!
Post a Comment